SNUC_in_NY

My late wife's journey with SinoNasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC), and my subsequent journey as a grieving widower finding my way back to life.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Rolling off the top...TP evolution

On January 14, 2007, soon after Robin had enrolled in hospice, I described a running joke she and I had about the proper way to mount toilet paper - should it have the paper rolling off the top, or the paper rolling off the bottom. At the time, all the visitors in the house were mounting it the wrong way! I concluded the blog entry by noting that in the future I thought I'd keep mounting TP with the paper rolling off the bottom - this would be one of those little habits that, well, kept a connection going.

Fast forward - two years later, in January 2009, I was visiting a friend in San Diego. I needed to mount a roll of toilet paper at her house and at first I mounted it in the way too which I am accustomed. Then I thought "that's silly, it's not even my house" and I flipped it so the paper rolled off the top. Then I changed my mind again, and I flipped the roll again. So what if my friend had never known Robin. So what if she thinks I mounted it upside down! When the paper is rolling off the bottom it just feels right.

Then to the present month. I've been in a steady relationship for quite some time now. It happened that I needed to mount a roll of toilet paper at my friend's house. I took off the empty tube and mounted the role my way. Then I thought "that looks silly" and I mounted it the way she does with the paper rolling off the top. I thought, "that looks OK".

Then to the present day. Last night my friend asked where I stash the toilet paper supply and I noted it's in the upstairs hall closet. Then this morning I noticed a roll of toilet paper, in my house, mounted with the paper rolling off the top.

I laughed lightly and I thought "you know that looks sensible".

And I left it that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home