SNUC_in_NY

My late wife's journey with SinoNasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC), and my subsequent journey as a grieving widower finding my way back to life.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Emancipation vs. Freedom

Emancipation - the act or process of emancipating
Main Entry: eman·ci·pate
Pronunciation: \i-ˈman(t)-sə-ˌpāt\
Function: transitive verb
1: to free from restraint, control, or the power of another ; especially : to free from bondage
3: to free from any controlling influence (as traditional mores or beliefs)


Main Entry: free·dom
Pronunciation: \ˈfrē-dəm\
Function: noun
Date: before 12th century
1: the quality or state of being free: as e: the quality of being frank, open, or outspoken


Over the years I thought I had gained a modicum of control over my own mind, however it wasn't until I submitted to the grieving process that I achieved emancipation from my own stream of consciousness. On August 24th 2007 I wrote about "The Silent Watcher". I'd become aware of a part of my mind which could observe the thoughts in my head and yet could remain detached and neutral. This was the point of emancipation. Like a freed slave, my mind was given permission to take a walk. To explore outside the previously imposed intellectual and emotional boundaries. At the time the event itself felt like the whole payoff.

However stunning was the "gift of realization", I did not understand at the time that the true depth of its impact could not be comprehended until later when the heart and soul actually experience freedoms. Most stunningly, now in relationships I find an ever increasing payback for just being myself. When fear intrudes on my thoughts I'm able to laugh it off knowing that I've faced deeper fears and they did not destroy me.

The sense of "experiencing Freedom" still comes as a welcome surprise. In retrospect, what slave on the first day of his emancipation could immediately know the freedom associated with owning his own property, voting for his representatives - even being the elected leader of his people? What had been viewed as a simple one-time gift has turned into the catalyst for an ever increasing richness in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home