SNUC_in_NY

My late wife's journey with SinoNasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC), and my subsequent journey as a grieving widower finding my way back to life.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Practicing?

Over the past couple of months I've been practicing new skills, particularly starting conversations with complete strangers. For a guy who used to be a pretty shy kid the skills seemed pretty foreign at first. I finally admitted to a friend recently that I probably couldn't call it practice anymore because I've gotten beyond the point of thinking about what I'm doing and now I just start talking with people. It's actually quite interesting to start a conversation and see a stranger go from being a bit aloof, to laughing and smiling in just a minute or two - sometimes two minutes is the entire length of the conversation!

At some point in this journey I had pondered how I would meet people in the future. It's become obvious to me that it's much easier than I had expected to meet and talk with people . Also it's become obvious that my dating skills are pretty rusty. I was discussing this with a coworker, saying that I felt like an awkward teenager sometimes. She pointed out that the last time I dated I was "an awkward twenty-two year old" and those are probably the same skills I'm starting with. Oh well, in the past couple of months I've been on a few dates with people I've known for years and I've just been on a couple of dates with a person I'd never met until recently. The ability to see what I'm doing, recognize the mistakes I'm making, and having a sense of humor about my missteps seems to be the best skill I've developed so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home