SNUC_in_NY

My late wife's journey with SinoNasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC), and my subsequent journey as a grieving widower finding my way back to life.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Bookshelves

The last time I did a house cleaning I boxed up and gave away a bunch of old books. Some old textbooks, some fiction, some nonfiction. I pretty much kept everything on the "spirituality & religion" bookshelves. I used to be pretty conventional, seeking out books on Taoism and Buddhism. Robin was more eclectic, finding books that focused on the meaning on life. The last book I'd read on religion was "Awakening the Buddha Within". While reading the book I thought this was all sounding like just another religion, then I came upon a chapter in which the author pointed out that 'it *was* another type of religion, but what was wrong with that?' The traditions and writings and practices were all there to help a person focus and achieve enlightenment, love and compassion. How cool for him to have made that point.

Over the years I read many of the books which Robin acquired. At least one of her massage clients used to pass along books to her. I used to think "what great books" this person chose to pass along. Eventually I began to wonder if the client must be in a book club because I began to see that all the books appeared to have been on best seller lists. What an awesome gift for that person to have shared so many books with Robin (and I) over the years!

Anyway, here are some of the books still on the shelves (in no particular order):

The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho
The Four Agreements, Don Miguel Ruiz
Awakening the Buddha Within, Lama Surya Das
Man's Search for Meaning, Victor Frankl
The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Expurery
The Power of Now, Ekart Tolle
Tuesdays with Morrie, Mitch Albom
Warrior of the Light, Paulo Coelho
The Tao of Pooh, Benjamin Hoff
The Road Less Traveled, M. Scott Peck
Way of the Peaceful Warrior, Dan Millman
The Celestine Prophecy, James Redfield

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home