SNUC_in_NY

My late wife's journey with SinoNasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC), and my subsequent journey as a grieving widower finding my way back to life.

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Fade to black

I was driving home from the grocery store and I took the long way home because I liked the song that was playing on the radio. It was snowing outside but there were only a couple of inches on the ground so the conditions weren't that bad. I wasn't driving full speed, but I wasn't crawling either.

About a half mile from home there's an S-curve that is a quick right then left. It was hard to see the edge of the road and I steered right just a little too early. The right tire crossed the edge of the pavement and entered the soft shoulder. I steered left and a then little right. The right tire came back onto the pavement but now the car slid out of control into the oncoming traffic. Turning the wheel no longer had any effect. In slow motion I watched the oncoming car headed toward me. I thought, 'well there's nothing I can do now'. Having been in some really tremendous accidents I know this thought, this sense of resolve, this sense of peace.

Just the other day I'd contemplated death and now what? Was some universal power continuing to test my thoughts? Was some universal power having a little joke at my expense?
In the briefest of moments we all came to a stop. Me in my car. The car whose lane I'd penetrated - now about ten feet in front of me, and the car behind him. While his headlights looked normal to me, I’m sure my headlights looked out of place to him in the middle of the road. Then the he began rolling again and pulled around me and kept going. Then the car behind him pulled around me too.

Shouldn't I be shaking with nervousness and adrenaline? Well, that might be coming. I released the brake and started to drive. Forty yards later I stopped and turned around in an intersection. I headed back the other direction. I stopped to see the tracks I left were halfway into this lane. I checked where my right tire had gone off the pavement and it hardly seemed noticeable.

I did have me wondering just what goes through someone's mind when things do go horribly wrong. Not that I don't already have enough data in this area, but it seems like probably it's a normal day, the music is playing, thoughts are on something to happen that evening, or next week. Then a moment of "oh, there's nothing else I can do" then fade to black.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home