SNUC_in_NY

My late wife's journey with SinoNasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC), and my subsequent journey as a grieving widower finding my way back to life.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Birthday disconnect

I was invited to a birthday party over the weekend. I've been 'single' for a couple of weeks and I thought - here's a chance to socialize!

I ended up in a conversation with a woman who was about fifteen years my senior. Over the course of an hour and a half she told me her life story. I'm a good listener which usually seems to make people comfortable talking about themselves. Over time I started getting a weird vibe from her. She eventually started intimating that she felt a connection between us. Maybe I could have felt a connection with someone else whom I'd just met, but over the course of telling me her life story the undertone had been increasingly negative - life was unfair and men were not entirely trustworthy.

I decided it was time for us to get up from the table and mingle a bit with other guests! After a period of time I found a good friend and suggested that he and I go for a walk down the street (rather than have me get corralled into further conversation).

We had an interesting walk - talking about women, about relationships, about investing, about life. Now this was engaging conversation! Upon our return to the party, the woman I had been speaking with passed me her phone number as she left the party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home