SNUC_in_NY

My late wife's journey with SinoNasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC), and my subsequent journey as a grieving widower finding my way back to life.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

First Date #1 (with friends like these...)

(retroactively labeled First Date #1) - I asked around and a friend suggested someone to date. It's someone his wife used to know from high school and sees very rarely. The only input is that she may not be too athletic, but I don't really have any limiting criteria - I thought I could simply use some generic dating experience.

I talked with the woman on the phone a few times (since I was traveling out of town for a week) and she seemed like a nice person. She talked about riding her bike and swimming for exercise. I suggested we meet for sushi - she suggested TGI Friday's. Hmm…guess she's probably not a sushi person?

We finally met for dinner. Someone had suggested I should take a girl to the bar first then if we don't seem like a match I could just politely say I had to leave. When this woman walked into the restaurant it was immediately obvious that she was not at all athletic but when she asked if I wanted to have a drink at the bar I replied "We're meeting for dinner, why don't we just sit down?" Guess I'm not scared of spending time with someone, even if we don't seem like a match physically.

It became apparent over the course of the conversation that we were quite different people. We liked different kinds of food, we put different amounts of energy toward exercise and keeping fit but we were having fun chatting. Finally she said with a laugh and a smile, "OK, I know we're not supposed to talk about politics or religion, but we already seem like a mismatch so what have we got to lose?" So we covered a few more topics. Well, we were complete opposites in just about everything (music, politics, religion, how often we drink, etc.) The one thing we shared was we both seemed to be pretty happy individuals who laugh easily and smile a lot. We left it up in the air whether we would talk again, but we had recognized how different we were so I wasn't expecting to really see her again.

Well, it was nice to be out on a date! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home