SNUC_in_NY

My late wife's journey with SinoNasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC), and my subsequent journey as a grieving widower finding my way back to life.

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Metric Century


Well, Corry and I finished the fifty-five mile ride and then did an additional loop to add another seven miles. The total of just over sixty-two miles was the equivalent of 100 kilometers, a "metric century" in biker parlance.

At the ride's finish the organizers served lunch, plus we had access to a pool where we could rinse off after five hours of bicycling. After lunch we chatted with some of Corry's co-workers and then I made a trip over to the massage area to get Corry and I signed up for "ten minute" sports massages. Robin had done some events like this so I knew the routine - there'd be a waiting list so best get over and get our names on it!

On the way over I passed a tent where a band had been playing. The organizers were taking advantage of a break in the music to invite cancer patients to state how many years they'd been survivors. I suddenly felt out of place as I do whenever I hear survivors talk about their experience. Robin *was* a survivor, but she's no longer here. I never even had cancer, so where do I fit in? I guess I was one of the caregivers… After mulling it over briefly I remembered my place here (besides getting to spend the day with Corry) was to help contribute funds to research. I figure every day earlier we can get to a cure, that many more people (and families) will never have to experience cancer's effect on their own lives.

Well, this all started the grieving response again. I've had occasion to put it off before, like while walking around the grocery store, so I know I can just cutoff the response sometimes if desired. Yeah, probably not the best idea to do it all the time, but sometimes you're not in a convenient place to have tears running down your cheeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home