SNUC_in_NY

My late wife's journey with SinoNasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC), and my subsequent journey as a grieving widower finding my way back to life.

Monday, July 16, 2007

Attitude of Gratitude

Several months ago I was taking a weeklong technical class which included an exam on the final day. The last evening before the test I arrived back at my hotel room feeling tired having just had dinner. In the past I would have studied anyway, but that evening I turned on the television and immediately fell asleep for a couple of hours. I have found in the past six months that some things no longer stress me out like they used too - plus sleep can be much more precious. For the longest time I was operating on five hours sleep a night. I would go a whole week in that mode and then sleep all day Saturday to make up for the accumulated losses. Talk about a walking zombie!

Anyway, when I awoke there was an interview program on the television and the guest, Dr. Robert Emmons, was talking about his new book "thanks!". The book is about how you can increase your level of happiness simply by being grateful for what you have in life. I believe this was one of the central tenets of the happiness Robin and I enjoyed the last five years, and it's part of what helped keep us positive through her treatment.

I bring this topic up now because at the time I saw the television program the book was not yet published, but I went ahead and placed an advance order. Today I found the book in my mailbox when I arrived home.

I haven't read the book yet, but here are a few excerpts from the first chapter:

Gratitude "requires a willingness to recognize…that we could not be who we are or where we are in life without the contributions of others.". "Gratitude also implies a recognition that it is possible for other forces to act toward us with beneficial, selfless motives." "Being grateful is an acknowledgement that there are good and enjoyable things in the world."

The book describes the measured benefits of having a grateful attitude and suggests ways in which you can foster it in your own life.

(I hope it's a good book - I won't have a chance to read it until next week!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home