SNUC_in_NY

My late wife's journey with SinoNasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC), and my subsequent journey as a grieving widower finding my way back to life.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Gone Fishin'

Today is just a lazy summer day at a friend's house on a lake. It started with a bike ride, then there was a row boat adventure across the lake in a boat with two adults, two kids and three small dogs!

Sometime after boating I find myself on the dock with Robert, a two year old who can't get enough of fishing! I cast the line for him thinking he'll learn to pick up this skill, but without kids of my own I don't realize what the capabilities are of a two year-old! So we sit on the end of the dock. He talks. I talk. I'm not sure either of us knows what's being said by the other - but it's all positive! His feet just barely hang into the water. My legs are so long they're submerged up to my shins.

We're actually swinging a hook at the end of the line. Each time he reels it in and pops the lure onto the dock I'm laughing, flinching and guarding us against the sharp tip. His mom finally realizes and she comes to our rescue by removing the hook from the line. I laugh and apologize explaining that I've only got "Uncle skills" but no parenting skills! ;) Robert remains content with me simply casting a bobber and him reeling it in.

Each time as he reels in the line I ask "is there a fish?" Nope, the fish never appears but then the fish is not really relevant to the experience. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home