SNUC_in_NY

My late wife's journey with SinoNasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC), and my subsequent journey as a grieving widower finding my way back to life.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Helpful widower?

In 2006 I'd met a couple in New York City (the husband has been battling cancer for eight years) and I have since exchanged a few e-mails with the wife. A few weeks ago she noted she was scared - her husband's been through all the regular chemo protocols for his disease and is now enrolling in a clinical trial. I wrote and described how I would say to Robin "I'm afraid you could die" and she would say matter-of-factly "we're all going to die". I added that I didn't think we had to fear because there's a plan for all of us and everything will work out in the end.

Afterwards I felt uncomfortable, like I'd just acknowledged/confirmed that her husband was going to die - which is obviously her worst fear. For a while I felt like a schmuck; like I'd done something that could dash her hopes; like I'd done something that might rob her of the full experience of battling the cancer. I'd read that some widowers find themselves focused on helping other people deal with life threatening issues, or they're focused on helping other folks who were more recently widowed.

I guess in the end only we assign the values "right", "wrong" and "schmuck". I suppose there's nothing I could have said that would be a surprise to her. She's in the thick of battle and dealing with all the possible futures herself. Whatever my input might do (or whatever I *thought* my input might do), hopefully she got something out of the message that will help her along her path.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home