SNUC_in_NY

My late wife's journey with SinoNasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC), and my subsequent journey as a grieving widower finding my way back to life.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Book: Seven Choices

I'm reading a new book on grieving that's arrived at the right time in the right place. A friend bought it try to better understand what I'm going through, but she soon offered the copy to me as she could see my obvious interest in the book: “Finding Daylight After Loss Shatters your World - Seven Choices”.

It’s written by a widow - what a difference when the author’s not just made clinical observations of loss, but actually been through the experience herself. Anyway the book maps out a path of seven phases and gives examples of people experiencing each phase. The first few phases were familiar to me which gives me some faith that the future phases might be on my path too.
Essentially the experiences and the associated choices are:

1. Experiencing the unthinkable - choosing to experience grieving fully
2. Stumbling in the dark - to endure with patience
3. Linking past to present - to look honestly
4. Turning into the wind - to replan and change to include, but not be dominated by the loss
5. Picking up the pieces - to take specific actions
6. Finding solid ground - to engage in conflicts
7. Daylight - to make and remake choices

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home