SNUC_in_NY

My late wife's journey with SinoNasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC), and my subsequent journey as a grieving widower finding my way back to life.

Monday, January 29, 2007

A Riddle

A riddle from the Greek play "Oedipus the King":

"What creature walks on four feet in the morning, on two at noon and on three in the evening?"

I remember this riddle from grade school. At the time all I could think of were animals from Africa. Of course, since it was school we didn't have to wait long to be told the answer. Then it seemed a trick since "creature" didn't refer to a "wild" animal and the timeframe of one day didn't really refer to twenty-four hours.

So the answer -

the creature is "Man." As an infant, he crawls on all fours at the beginning or "dawn" of his life; when grown, he walks upright; when old, he walks with a cane.

It seems like Robin's journey now is much the reverse of a young child's. Weeks ago when she met her niece's son Dillon (who is about five months old), they seemed to share some common traits. They were both relatively bald, they shared some degree of limited mobility, and they were both changing. Dillon's been picking up new skills, while Robin has been giving up skills acquired over a lifetime.

The thought first struck me just after New Year's (when Robin was in the hospital) that her ability to travel and to do things was become more limited. Just over a year ago she had traveled to China - taking a fourteen hour plane ride. Yet as she lay in the hospital bed even a two hour plane trip seemed beyond her capability.

Each week now she loses some strength and some ability. At one point I looked at this as a sad thing, but in reality it seems like it's just part of the process. Instead of being scared each time she loses some capability, I try to view it as one more step along her path, simply part of the natural process. Milestones in a way, but maybe not events to be scared of, maybe in some odd way they are changes to be celebrated - signs that she's moving toward her destination. I'm sure her view and mine are different much of the time. She still talks about herself regaining strength and stamina, while I see those characteristics drifting out of her range. I see her legs getting thinner. I see more details on her bald head, like little bumps and lines. All I can imagine is that she's losing body fat from all over, so in some areas I'm seeing details which used to be smoothed over by thicker skin.

We've talked about her changes before, but she attributes them to not having enough time to improve herself (i.e. too many visitors). Once in a while reality inserts itself with a reminder, like sometimes she can't get out of bed without assistance, or she stumbles slightly as I walk with her to and from the bathroom. I certainly am not the one to define her capabilities. I think Robin defines them herself every day, though eventually her body will not be able to perform all the instructions that her mind commands.

5 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin you are one tough cookie, Greg you are a lucky man. XO Trice

 
At 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg, As I read your entries, especially this one, I can't help but think if Robin is looking for strength in our Lord Jesus Christ and not so much in her physical strength. I know you've said that the hospice staff waits for you to ask the questions (questions you don't want to know the answers to) but maybe it's time for someone to ask Robin about her relationship with God. We are praying for both of you, praying that God gives you strength to follow the path He has chosen for you. and praying for God's peace and blessings to comfort you both at this difficut time. I remember Robin saying "I want to get this dying thing right",Robin, do you know how many people you are helping right now as they face their own mortality! God has given you a gift. Thank you for sharing this most personal time of your life... Pam (Paige) Giaconelli

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin and Greg-
What a kick-ass team you guys are! I am sorry for the pain that you are going through. Recently I came across the following quote from the Buddhist monk Dogen, and I've found it helpful.
"No matter how bad a state of mind you may get into, if you keep strong and hold out, eventually the floating clouds must vanish and the withering wind must cease."

The clouds WILL vanish, and the wind WILL cease. Sometimes just remembering that gets you through a moment.

Much love,
(cousin) Liz

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg and Robin - As I read everyone's comment, there's one that struck me and that was Pam's above. I can't imagine how difficult this road is/has been for you both. As Pam said above, so many of us have been helped in so many ways with this 'gift' as so spoken. After praying the 'Serenity Prayer', I have realized you both are a channel to those who don't know how to accept things they cannot change, help to who can change the things they can and awareness for the wisdom to know the difference. You are heroes to us. I, too, thank you both for sharing this journey. I only wish that I could help carry the cross.

Love and prayers,
Donna Pivero

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg, as hard as it is to watch someone you love die, there's a real privilege in being able to care for them and making sure they're comfortable and at peace. The intimacy that comes from those acts of everyday assistance surpasses the intimacy that I think most people experience in a lifetime. That intimacy is a gift to be cherished and the memory of it will likely sustain you for a very long time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home