SNUC_in_NY

My late wife's journey with SinoNasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC), and my subsequent journey as a grieving widower finding my way back to life.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Injecting Robin

Robin receives an injection of "Neulasta" the day after each course of chemo ends. This stuff "jump starts" her production of white blood cells. Without the injection her white blood cells would take longer to become plentiful again so she would be more prone to infection, and if they did not regenerate quickly enough it could be a reason to delay a future chemo treatment. Obviously we don't want her to fall behind on any therapy so this injection is of great benefit.

After the second course of chemo (Sept 9th) we were at home and we were unable to reach any local nursing friends to give her the shot on a Saturday afternoon. Oddly enough Robin suggested I might give her the injection. I hesitated, but then figured everyone who has ever given an injection had to start with their first one, so I agreed and started by reading the documentation that came with the packaging. I followed the instructions and pinched a bunch of the skin on her thigh then let that needle fly. Boom - it didn't seem to go through her skin so I pulled back on the needle. That's when I found it had gone in a little because I could feel the resistance as I yanked it back out!

Now I'm starting to sweat! If you mess up the shot (for instance, if you accidentally hit a blood vessel when you put it in the skin) then the instructions advise that you throw away the entire needle (I don't think so!). So here we go again. Boom - I hit her thigh but it still feels like it has barely penetrated so I apply a little pressure and voila - I can feel it slide through the outer layer and under her skin. I hope Robin is having as much fun as I am!

We finish up and I withdraw the needle. Gee - that really didn't hurt me a bit. Robin claims she never felt a thing - either with the first stick or the second! Looks like tonight I get to give her the next injection, but now it will be easy since I'm a veteran at giving shots! ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home