SNUC_in_NY

My late wife's journey with SinoNasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC), and my subsequent journey as a grieving widower finding my way back to life.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Dexter...now you get to figure out who you are...

My long-time girlfriend and I had watched the HBO series Dexter on DVD last Winter. We'd been waiting eight months for the latest season to be released on DVD. The first DVD of the series has now arrived but I've been holding on to it - shouldn't we be watching it together? Finally I put in the first DVD and start watching it by myself. Somehow it feels like driving a wedge between us.

Dexter meets a woman (Lila) in an addiction recovery program. He acknowledges that he has a problem he can't control (um, he's a serial killer…). Lila notes that "acknowledging you have a problem" is the first step. She adds "[now] You get to have a fresh start. Whatever you thought, whatever you did, doesn’t matter. Now you get to figure out who you are."

Dexter ponders this message and thinks to himself - 'I went to Lila for answers [about addiction] but now all I have is more questions.

Who am I?
What do I need?
What do I want?

…coffee…I really want a cup of coffee…'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home